Writing non-fiction: being creative with the truth
Please note that this course has started or is now finished and enrolment may no longer be possible.
You can now:
- Explore our courses in the courses pages.
- Look for courses taught by the same tutors by clicking on the tutor links below.
- Contact us to register your interest in future courses of this type.
- Look for related courses in the Related Courses tab above.
- Continue your search via the guided search or course search (show all courses).
If you’ve ever wanted to write about your ancestors, your own life or a character from history, this is the course for you. Whether you’ve already started to write or you’re looking for inspiration, this writing class will help you to gain confidence and to improve your style.
We will look at the different ways of telling a true story, explore research and discuss how successful writers engage with their audience. Whether you aim to be a bestselling author or you simply want to write an entertaining account for friends and family, this stimulating and supportive class will help you to find your voice.
- 16 April: Introduction: knowing your audience and your motives for writing
- 23 April: Beginning, middle and end: structure in non-fiction
- 30 April: Research: making it work for you
- 14 May: Editing your work
- 21 May: Illustrations as tools for both reader and author
This course will be supported by our e-learning centre, ICE Online. You will be able to download course material, contact your tutor and talk to fellow students via the web at a time and place that’s convenient to you.
Visit the ICE Online introductory website to find out more.
Unless otherwise stated, teaching and assessment for ICE courses is in English. Students for whom English is not their first language should refer to the Competence in the English Language Policy for further guidance.
Printable versions of our brochures are available to download from the Institute Publications page.
Join waiting list
This course is now fully booked. You can now join our online waiting list or contact us directly:
Write to usRegistration Team
16 April 2012 (19:15)
21 May 2012 (21:15)
Institute of Continuing Education
University of Cambridge
Madingley Hall, Madingley
Qualifications / Credits