| Create PDF |  Email | Print |

c. What do ‘undergraduate’ and postgraduate’ mean?


An undergraduate student is a student who is studying for his/her first degree (usually entitled Bachelor of Arts [BA] or Bachelor of Science [BSc]). There are three levels of undergraduate study equating to first-year, second-year and third-year study. Once the student has a first degree, he/she is called a graduate and may choose to take a higher qualification (e.g. a Postgraduate Certificate, Postgraduate Diploma, Master’s Degree, PhD etc.). He/she will then be called a postgraduate student.

Here at the University of Cambridge Institute of Continuing Education, we offer a number of part-time qualifications at undergraduate and postgraduate level, namely:

These carry credits within the Framework for Higher Education Qualifications in England, Wales and Northern Ireland (FHEQ).

Levels of study

FHEQ level 4 = first-year undergraduate-level study (Undergraduate Certificate)

FHEQ level 5 = second-year undergraduate-level study (Undergraduate Diploma)

FHEQ level 6 = third-year undergraduate-level study (Undergraduate Advanced Diploma)

FHEQ level 7 = postgraduate-level study (Postgraduate Certificate or Diploma, Master’s Degree)