Study online: Athens and the 5th-century intellectual revolution
This course provides both an overview of one of the key eras in human development and a solid foundation for further studies for those with an interest but not necessarily previous experience in classical history.
Students on this course will learn about the major advances in art, architecture and philosophy which took place in Greece during this period, and other aspects of Greek life, including:
- The development of the theatre
- Sophism and Empiricism as philosophical concepts
- Democracy and aristocratic reaction
- The outside influences on Greek thought
- The architecture of Greek temples and public buildings
- The Olympics and other festivals
- Everyday life in a Greek city
Study with the experienced and enthusiastic tutor Dr Maty Matyszak, celebrated author in Ancient History and inspiration to many past students:
“I have been very miffed with the Athens course, miffed that it has ended! It has been skilfully constructed and presented. Maty, we need some more of your sublime tutelage; I’ll take anything under your magisterial watch.”
"Fantastic - a new way to study and one that works extremely well"
"Great tutor, provided a 'forum' to meet new people from around the world and chat about subjects that I'm interested in"
To find out more information http://www.ice.cam.ac.uk/component/courses/?view=course&cid=3514