Financial support

Before you apply

Bursary awards

Student loans

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs)

Other sources of support

Find out more


Before you apply

If you are paying for your course via funding from a third party, please consider the scenarios below.

Securing your place on the course

All students (regardless of funding source) must confirm and secure their place by providing payment of either a first instalment or full payment of course fees.

If somebody else is paying for your course

We will create an instalment payment plan which requires a minimum payment of the first instalment of the course fee only. However, we will still accept full payment if preferred. It is your responsibility to ensure that instalments are paid on time. You may wish to pay the instalments yourself and claim the money back from us once your funder has made the full payment.

If you have applied for a student loan

If you have applied for a student loan from the Student Loan Company (SLC) you may (depending on when you applied for your loan) be in receipt of your entitlement letter without conditions. If so SLC will pay your course fee directly to us.

If you are yet to receive your entitlement letter, you will be required to cover all instalments until the loan is confirmed. When you have sent us your entitlement letter, instalments will be refunded to you and subsequent instalments will be covered directly between SLC and the Institute.

*Please note that we are not a part of the 24+ loan scheme. Applicants should apply to the SLC.

If you cancel your place

Please note that in line with our standard refund policy, liability for course fees is with you and not your funder. All students are liable for one third of the course fee until 10 days after the start of the course, and the remaining two thirds of the course fee after 10 days. In the case that full payment has been made, no refunds will be made after 10 days. In the case of instalment payments, these would still be your responsibility.

Bursary awards

We are offering a limited number of bursaries to eligible students who wish to study selected courses with the Institute. The bursaries will continue to be available for as long as funds remain.

Cambridge University Press Bursaries

The Cambridge University Press (CUP) Bursary Fund offers a bursary of £100 to applicants who teach in a UK state school or state-funded further education institution, applying to study a weekend course or an online course.

Lifelong Learning Bursaries

Three full bursaries are available to applicants to a one-year Undergraduate Certificate or Diploma course who are over 18 years old, studying at university level for the first time and for whom finance is a barrier to part-time study. Two full bursaries will be awarded to arts or humanities students and one full bursary will be offered to a sciences student.

The closing date for Lifelong Learning Bursary applications is 30 June 2016.

Ivy Rose Hood Memorial Bursaries

The Ivy Rose Hood Memorial Fund offers eight bursaries of £500 to applicants to an Undergraduate Certificate or Diploma course who are over 18 years old, studying at university level for the first time and for whom finance is a barrier to part-time study.

The closing date for Ivy Rose Hood Memorial Bursary applications is 30 June 2016.

How to apply

To apply for a bursary online, go to the course you wish to apply for and follow the on-screen instructions.

Please note that if you are awarded a bursary you will be required to book and pay the course fee (or the first instalment of the course fee, if applicable) within two weeks of the date of notification to accept the bursary and confirm your place on the course.

Student loans

Undergraduate loans

Part-time students can currently apply for a Tuition Fee Loan of up to £6,750 to cover the cost of University fees. This loan replaces the Grants scheme previously in place. Maintenance grants will only be available to full-time students.

To be eligible for a loan your course of study must be equivalent to at least 25% of a full-time course each year. At ICE, our Undergraduate Certificate, Diploma and Advanced Diploma courses are generally equivalent to 50% of full-time study.

Please note that you will not be eligible for a loan if you are studying for a lesser or equivalent qualification to one you already have.

If you receive a loan, the funds will be paid directly to the Institute of Continuing Education.

Student finance: how to apply - on the GOV.UK website

As loans can take some time to process, please apply as soon as you can. We will need to see your Student Entitlement Letter, which can be sent to the Admissions team by email:

Postgraduate loans

Are you thinking about starting a postgraduate Master’s course in 2016? A new Postgraduate Loan is now available to help you pay for your Master’s course.

Can I get a Postgraduate Loan?

  • you have to be studying a taught or research Master’s course
  • you can be studying at a university or college or by distance learning
  • your course can be two years long (for the equivalent one year full-time course) or up to four years long (for the equivalent two year full-time course)
  • you have to be under 60 at the start of the first academic year of your course; and
  • you must normally live in England.

If you’re an EU national, but don’t normally live in England you may be able to get a Postgraduate Loan for a Master’s course at a university or college in England.

What can I get?

You can apply for a Postgraduate Loan of up to £10,000. This will be a contribution towards your course and living costs while you’re studying, and has to be paid back.

If your course lasts for two or more years, you can get up to £5,000 in your first year and the rest in your second year.

The loan will be paid into your bank account in three instalments during the academic year.

How to apply

Apply for a Postgraduate Loan - on the GOV.UK website. You’ll only have to apply once, even if your course is longer than one year.

A handy quick guide, Introduction to Postgraduate Loans (PDF file), is available on the Student Finance England website. More information and resources about Postgraduate Loans will be available soon, so check back often.

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs)

If you are a UK student on a course that could enable you to apply for a student loan as described above and you have a disability, mental health condition or a specific learning difficulty which affects your ability to study, you may be able to apply for an allowance to help you buy or rent equipment to aid you in your studies or to pay for the services of support workers to assist you. Any previous study will not affect your eligibility for DSAs, even if you received financial support. There is no age limit on receiving DSAs.

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) guide - on the GOV.UK website

Other sources of support

Students may also apply to the University's Access to Learning Fund which administers limited funds provided by the government to relieve financial hardship that might impact upon a student's participation in higher education. The fund cannot normally be used to meet the cost of tuition fees but can provide additional financial help to meet other course-related costs.

You can find details of other sources of government funding and financial support, including Professional and Career Development Loans, on the GOV.UK website.

A variety of individual grants are available from grant-making trusts. You can usually consult the Directory of Grant Making Trusts at your local library.

In some instances your employer may be willing to offer you financial support for your personal and professional development.

Find out more

You can afford to go to uni: Part-time guide - on the Universities UK website. This is a 27-page guide, produced jointly by Universities UK and, which explains the tuition fee system for part-time students in England starting a higher education course in 2014.

Guidance for new and continuing part-time students - on The Student Room website. This includes a finance calculator to allow you to work out what grants, loans and bursaries you can get for courses that start after 1 September 2013.