skip to content

Institute of Continuing Education (ICE)


Student Loans

Our student loan options are for UK learners only with the exception of 'Sallie Mae Funding'.

If you are intending to apply (or have applied) for a loan from the Student Loans Company (SLC) you can pay £50 to secure your place on the course. This deposit is refunded once your loan is confirmed, and we have received payment from the SLC. Please note, student loans only cover one course per year.

Please ensure you apply for a part-time loan as our courses are part-time (with the exception of the Certificate of Higher Education in PreMedical Studies).

The student loan portal does not typically open until April/May however you will be able to apply and secure your place ahead of applying for a student loan.

The Enrolment Team is happy to support you with guidance around student loans. You can contact us via email:

If after 2 weeks from your course start date, your loan has not been confirmed or proof of application has not been sent to the student financing team (, you will automatically revert on to our standard installment plan. 
*Please note that ICE is not a part of the Advanced Learner Loan scheme. Applicants should apply to the SLC.

Undergraduate loans:

Part-time students living in England and applying to study one of Undergraduate Certificates, Undergraduate Diplomas or Undergraduate Advanced Diplomas may be able to apply for a Student Loan from Student Finance England. These loans are for tuition fee costs only. None of our undergraduate courses are eligible for a Part-Time Maintenance Loan with the exception of our Certificate of Higher Education in Pre-Medical Studies.

If you receive a tuition fee loan, the funds will be paid directly to the Institute of Continuing Education.

Please note that you will not be eligible for a loan if you are studying for a lesser or equivalent qualification to one you already have. Information on how to apply for these loans can be found on the GOV.UK website: Student finance: how to apply.

As loans can take some time to process, we ask you to pay a small deposit to secure your place on the course. Please apply for your course as soon as you can as your deposit cannot be refunded until the funds are received. 

You can start the course even if your loan hasn’t been received by us by the start date, however you will be liable for the full fee (normally paid in instalments) if you are unsuccessful in securing a student loan. 

If after 2 weeks from your course start date, your loan has not been confirmed or proof of application has not been sent to the student financing team (, you will automatically revert on to our standard instalment plan. 

Postgraduate loans:

Students applying to study a Postgraduate Certificate or Postgraduate Diploma are unfortunately NOT eligible for either a tuition fee loan, or a Part-Time Maintenance Loan from Student Finance England.

Students applying to study for an MSt MAY be eligible for a Master's Loan. You must normally be living in England. Other eligibility criteria apply and full detail can be found on the GOV.UK website: Master’s loan. You’ll only have to apply once, even if your course is longer than one year.

Disabled Student Allowance (DSA)

If you are a UK student on a course that could enable you to apply for a student loan and you have a disability, mental health condition, long term illness or any other disability. which affects your ability to study, you may be able to apply for Disabled Student's Allowance (DSA).

DSA is a grant designed to help you buy or rent equipment to aid you in your studies or to pay for the services of support workers to assist you. It can be paid on its own or in addition to any student finance students get and does not have to be paid back.  The types of support and how much students get depends on their individual needs - not household income.

Any previous study will not affect your eligibility for DSA, even if you received financial support. There is no age limit on receiving DSA.

If you are eligible and would like to apply for a DSA, we would advise for you to do this as early as possible as processing can take up to 16 weeks to receive support. 

Employer Funding

If your employer is paying for part or all of your tuition fee, you will need to send us your employer’s purchase order, which should include the sponsor, student name, amount and course name. If providing a purchase order is not possible, we can also alternatively accept a letter of funding provided on the company’s letterhead, including sponsor, student name, amount, and course name. This acts as a binding contract of payment intent. Please send either a purchase order or a letter of funding to the Enrolment Team:


If you are currently serving in, or have previously served in the British armed forces, you may be eligible to apply for the Ministry of Defence Enhanced Learning Credits scheme (ELCAS).

This promotes lifelong learning and provides financial support in each of a maximum of three separate financial years and enables higher level learning of a nationally recognised Master's course.

To learn more about the ELCAS scheme, please visit their website here.

Sallie Mae Funding

Sallie Mae is an organisation experienced in lending to and dealing with US students studying outside the US. 

You will be able to make payments while studying or defer until after you leave.

The flexibility of this loan is designed for those:

  • Enrolled in an eligible study-abroad programme.
  • Need funding to cover an additional programme, housing, travel, passport or visa-related expenses.
  • Seeking professional certification or are enrolled in a continuing education programme.
  • Studying full-time, half-time, or less than half-time

To find out more, click here and to apply, click here




Any questions?

 Do you have any questions? Contact us here »