skip to content

Institute of Continuing Education (ICE)


It’s important you are aware of immigration requirements to study on the Summer Programme. In line with Home Office policy, the University will be required to confirm you have the correct immigration permission to study in the UK at the start of the Summer Programme.

Please read this section even if you have attended the Summer Programmes for a number of years.

If you already have immigration permission in the UK, please inform us so we are able to confirm whether this allows you to study on our Summer Programmes.

Visitor Route

If you do not already hold immigration permission in the UK that permits study, you may enter the UK as a visitor in order to attend the Summer Programme.

As status as a visitor in the UK has the following restrictions:

  • You cannot take employment in the UK (including part-time or full-time vacation employment);
  • You cannot undertake a work placement/internship (paid/unpaid) as part of the course of study;
  • You cannot work on a self-employed basis in the UK or be involved in business activities;
  • You cannot extend your stay in the UK;
  • You must demonstrate you have the funds to support yourself during your studies in the UK.

Applying for a visitor visa

Whether you need to apply for this visa in advance (prior to travelling to the UK) or whether you can request entry as a visitor at immigration control on arrival in the UK depends on your nationality.

Visa Nationals:

Students from certain countries, i.e. visa nationals, are required to apply for, and obtain, a visitor visa before travelling to the UK. The list of visa nationals is outlined in the Immigration Rules.

Information on the application, including the required supporting documents, is outlined on the Home Office website.

The visa letter issued by the Institute of Continuing Education should be submitted as a supporting document with the application.

A standard visitor visa is usually granted for 6 months.

Non-visa nationals

If your country is not included on the list of visa nationals, you are not required to apply for a visa in advance of travelling to the UK. You can request entry as a visitor at immigration control on arrival. You may need to explain to a Border Force Officer the reasons for your stay in the UK and provide the acceptance letter issued by the Institute of Continue Education. You will receive an entry stamp in your passport to reflect your visitor permission.

Students from the EEA, Switzerland, Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea and the USA can use the eGates on arrival in the UK and have automatic entry as a visitor if they do not already hold alternative UK immigration permission. If you use the eGates you will not need to speak to Border Force or receive a stamp in your passport. You will be required to provide evidence of date of entry to the UK (e.g. your boarding pass or flight ticket) on the registration day in order to verify your immigration status before commencing your studies.

Further guidance

Further information about using the visitor route for short periods of study is outlined on the International Student Office’s webpage here: 

Queries should be directed to us in the first instance via our Contact us form, but we may refer your query to the International Student Office if specific advice is required.