Visas for international students | Institute of Continuing Education skip to content

Institute of Continuing Education

Students from outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland will require an appropriate visa to attend a course at the Institute of Continuing Education.

For students registered on part-time courses, summer programmes and short courses, the University will normally support entry to the UK under the short-term study immigration route. Entry to the UK under the short-term study route has a number of expectations and restrictions which you should consider carefully. Please see the International Students website for further information. For more information specifically regarding to students attending our International Summer Programmes, please read through the information on this page. Students attending part-time study at Cambridge with sessions taking place at intervals across the year are expected to leave the UK at the end of each session and return for the next. 

Please note the University does not provide Tier 4 sponsorship for part-time study undertaken at the Institute of Continuing Education. It is also unable to issue a letter to support entry to the UK as a short-term student for attendance on certain Undergraduate and Postgraduate Award Programmes which are longer than six months and where attendance is required more than once a term. Applications from non-EEA nationals who hold, or can obtain, a visa in another category which permits study can still be considered. An example of such a visa would be a work visa that allows study. It is not possible to study on these programmes as a visitor to the UK (tourist). 

In line with Home Office regulations, the Institute of Continuing Education will be required to confirm your permission to study in the UK at the start of your course. In order to start your course, you must present your original documents in person at the reception of Madingley Hall (as the Institute's main building) or at your Department/Faculty on the day of your first teaching session, as the University is required to check the originals and retain copies in accordance with Home Office requirements. Students who do not present immigration documents valid for study will not be permitted to start, or continue, their course.

Students must apply in sufficiently good time for the appropriate visa to ensure they are able to start and complete their course of study at the Institute of Continuing Education. Entry to the UK is at the discretion of UK Visas and Immigration and Border Officials at the port of entry. The University cannot accept responsibility for decisions made by these external government agencies.

If you require a supporting letter for your visa application, please complete our online request form.

If you are applying for a Summer Programme, we will send you an acceptance letter which you can then use to apply for your visa.

Unlike part-time degrees at many universities, the part-time courses at the University of Cambridge are not distance learning degrees where all study is undertaken remotely. You will be required to attend short residential sessions in Cambridge. The Institute of Continuing Education, however, does offer some fully online non-degree courses.

Course type: 
Part-time Master's Degree
Postgraduate Certificate/Diploma
Professional development
Short Course (1 day)
Short Course (2-7 days)
Short Course (5 wks part-time)
Summer Programme
Undergraduate Certificate/Diploma
Applying for a course
International students

How can we help?


Course enquiries: +44 (0)1223 746262

International Summer Programmes: +44 (0)1223 760850

Madingley Hall reception: +44 (0)1223 746222 (open 24 hours)

ICE Opening Hours: 9.00am to 4.30pm (Mon - Fri)



Short courses:

Online courses:

International Summer Programmes:

Undergraduate Certificates and Diplomas:

Postgraduate Certificates and Diplomas:

Part-time Master's degrees (MSts):

General enquiries: